The Culture Playbook
AMAZING BUSINESS RADIO: DANIEL COYLE
How to Develop Workplace Culture Like a Skill
Shep Hyken interviews Daniel Coyle, New York Times bestselling author of The Culture Playbook: 60 Highly Effective Actions to Help Your Group Succeed. They discuss developing your team’s culture as a skill through consistent action, practice, and reflection.
- Culture is not about words. Culture is about actions and behaviours.
- We always think that culture is like the personality of a group. That’s not true. Culture is performance. It is when people act in such a way that contributes to the team’s performance.
- Daniel Coyle shares three tips (out of 60!) from his book, The Culture Playbook: The Culture Playbook: 60 Highly Effective Actions to Help Your Group Succeed.
Tip #1. Keep an open face. Our face is like a door. It has two settings, closed and open. Our face is closed when our thoughts are focused inwards. It is open when we communicate energy, interest, excitement, and enthusiasm.
Tip #2. The two-line email. Ask your employees to send you a two-line email with these prompts: Tell me one thing you want me to keep doing, and Tell me one thing you want me to stop doing.
Tip #3. AAR or After Action Review. AAR is a 5-minute meeting that has a massive impact on strength and performance. After you do something with your team, pause and ask these three questions: What went well? What didn’t go well? What are we going to do differently next time?
- Daniel also shares more ideas about pillars of building culture, the subtraction game, and the benefits of “taking a pause” in this busy world. Tune in!
“Great cultures operate like a flock of birds in a forest. They stay connected. They self-organize to go past problems and move toward their goal.”
“Great culture happens when you pause, zoom out and answer these questions: Where are we going? How are we connecting? How are we interrelating? What does this mean?”
“All learning has two pieces: experience and reflection.”
“Good bosses signal their fallibility first. The four most important words a leader can say are “I screwed that up.”
Daniel Coyle is a New York Times bestselling author of The Culture Code, The Talent Code, The Little Book of Talent, The Secret Race, and Hardball: A Season in the Projects. His latest book is The Culture Playbook: 60 Highly Effective Actions to Help Your Group Succeed.
This episode of Amazing Business Radio with Shep Hyken answers the following questions … and more:
- What is team culture?
- How do you develop a healthy culture in the workplace?
- What is After Action Review?
- Why is building relationships important in teams?
- How do you nurture group health?
Originally published at hyken.com on April 26, 2022