Building the Most Customer Obsessed Company On the Planet
AMAZING BUSINESS RADIO: JEFFREY T. MEZGER
There Is No Such Thing as Over-communicating With Your Customers
Shep Hyken interviews Jeffrey T. Mezger, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer at KB Home, one of the most recognized brands in homebuilding. They discuss the goal of being customer-obsessed, how your organization can provide an excellent experience in spite of supply chain issues and other problems, and more.
- Jeffrey Mezger’s mantra is to be the most customer-obsessed builder in the world. A lofty goal, but it is their “north star” and keeps everyone in alignment with its vision. If ever in doubt, he wants every employee to ask, “What would the most customer-obsessed company in the world do?”
- How do you deal with bad news? You have to over-communicate in every step. You can’t possibly communicate enough, especially if it involves a life-changing purchase.
- Economic conditions and supply chain issues disrupted customer service. When delays due to the supply disruption happen, take it up another level and make sure to communicate even more.
- The more you communicate with your customer, even if it’s about delays or bad news, they feel like they have control because they have a piece of knowledge.
- How do you ensure that you stay on top? You can never stop raising the bar, always aiming for a higher target by listening to what your customers want along the way.
- A customer-obsessed organization starts with knowing what the customer wants and then partnering with them to achieve it. That’s a winning combination.
“Giving customers information is much more impactful and beneficial than saying nothing. Even if it’s something that is unpleasant, you have to talk to your customers.”
“When dealing with a customer, your team should ask, ‘What would the most customer-obsessed company in the world do?’”
“Customer satisfaction helps your business. It doesn’t cost you money, it makes you money.”
Jeffrey T. Mezger is the Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer at KB Home, one of the most recognized brands in homebuilding. Under his leadership, KB Home established itself as one of the most recognized brands in homebuilding.
This episode of Amazing Business Radio with Shep Hyken answers the following questions … and more:
- How does supply chain management affect customer service?
- How do you handle delivering bad news?
- What is effective customer communication?
- How do you create a customer-obsessed culture?
- How should employees be trained to handle interactions with customers?
Originally published at hyken.com on May 24, 2022